The first Parish Church was built in St Combs, when the village consisted of only a few houses, but, as the population increased, the building became too small and it was decided to build a new church and locate it more centrally within the parish. In 1788 the church was built at Lonmay.
Two years previously, the nearby Loch of Strathbeg became land-locked as the result of a severe storm and the cargo of slates from a ship that had become marooned in the loch was used for roofing the new church.
By 1870, church attendance had increased so much so, that a new wing was added to the church. In recent times, a considerable amount of money has been spent on the fabric of the building including the installation of heating and double glazing, disabled access and toilet facilities, redecoration and the purchase of a new organ.
A portacabin sitting adjacent to the church provides kitchen facilities and a small meeting room.